The following are the subjects we offer at CLS, arranged according to the year in which our boys study them.
Old Grammar, First and Second Form.
All boys in the First Form and Old Grammar are taught as a Form and subjects are not setted.
Maths is setted in the Second Form.
(Junior Science in OG & First Form; and Biology, Chemistry and Physics in Second Form)
- IT & Computing
- Modern Languages
(Linguistics in OG, French & Mandarin in First & Second Form)
(Classics in OG, Latin in First & Second Form)
- PE, Swimming, and Games
- OG also have a period of CLaSS, which is a broad Core Learning and Survival Skills course covering Organisation, Information Processing, Time Management, Handwriting, Touch Typing, Study Skills & Routine
Boys continue to be taught as a Form with the exceptions of Maths, which is sorted loosely by ability, and the Options subjects shown below.
- three separate Sciences
- PE, Swimming and Games
Pupils choose two subjects from:
Latin or Latin & Greek
Fourth & Fifth Forms.
Boys generally take ten GCSEs including:
- English Literature & English Language
- Triple award Science: Biology, Chemistry & Physics
At least one modern language (from French, German, Spanish, Russian [ab initio] and Mandarin)
At least one humanity from Classical Civilisation, Geography, History and RS
and two more from Latin, Latin/Greek, Drama, Art & Design, Music or more modern languages and humanities
• Boys at CLS are able to take five modern and classical languages at GCSE, on timetable, probably unique amongst London day schools.
• Maths is setted but all boys follow the same specification and take the same exam which is OCR GCSE 9-1, aiming for a top grade.
• French is setted by ability.
We offer A-levels at CLS and boys follow a linear route.
They can either take four A-levels, or three A-levels and an extra.
Boys have free choices from:
- Art & Design
- Classical Civilisations
- English Language
- English Literature
- Further Mathematics
- Religion & Philosophy
The extras that we offer include:
- The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ): an exciting opportunity to develop university style research skills within a structured format and is highly valued by universities
- The Securities and Investment Certificate EPQ
- EPQ Cyber Security
- or a British Computer Society approved IT & C Certificate
“City of London School is exceptionally successful… All this is achieved by excellent teaching that stimulates in the pupils intellectual curiosity, critical enquiry and a determination to succeed.” ISI 2011
The downloads below give a full picture of the curriculum for the different age groups.
“An excellent and challenging curriculum” ISI 2011