Arthur Carter (Staff 1974-1981)

Arthur Ashton Carter was born on 1st February 1929 at his home in Barnton, which was then a small village near Northwich, Cheshire.  He was the youngest of four children, an older sister and two brothers.  He won a scholarship to Sir John Deane's Grammar School in Northwich where he attained his School Certificate and then Higher School Certificate passing that in four subjects, Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.  

He did his National Service in the Royal Army Educational Corps and looked forward to an exotic and far away posting. After 6 weeks basic training he was posted to Chester Castle – 15 miles from his home. Here he carried out a valuable role of teaching allied soldiers who could not return to their own countries. After demobilization, he then attended the University of Hull to take a degree in combined science. Whilst an undergraduate he was President of Hall of Residence, Vice President of the Students' Union (working alongside Roy Hattersley), Treasurer of the Athletics Union, Cadet Pilot in the Air Squadron and won his colours for hockey. In his finals he passed well in Mathematics and Physics but was let down by Chemistry, perhaps caused by too big a focus on non-academic pursuits. So unfortunately he failed his BSc. But because of his overall character, he was allowed to stay on at Hull for a Post-graduate Certificate of Education which he was awarded in 1956. And surprisingly was elected a Fellow of the Chemical Society on his tutors recommendation.  Much later on he gained a degree with the Open University in Humanities.

Arthur then embarked on his teaching career. He taught mathematics at Wells Cathedral Junior School with some science in the Senior School until 1960 where he was also in charge of football and cricket and he was a Flying Officer in the school A.T.C. Squadron.  He then taught at The Adcroft School of Building, Trowbridge, for one year before moving to Reeds School Cobham where he taught physics and chemistry to 'O' level and junior mathematics, coaching sports and in charge of the Scout Troop.  In 1964 he moved to Frensham Heights, Farnham where he was assistant housemaster, teaching chemistry, physics and mathematics, and coaching games.  In 1966 he became assistant housemaster at The Royal Ballet School, Richmond Park, teaching mathematics and further mathematics to 'O' level and was local secretary for Cambridge GCE. Whilst at the Royal Ballet School he was awarded his Blue Peter badge when he helped with the visit of the Blue Peter team to White Lodge. And in September 1974 Arthur joined the staff at the City of London School in the Mathematics Department.  He took charge of mathematics in the Junior School and was a junior school form master as well as teaching more senior groups preparing for GCE 'O' level.  He helped with junior school games and was master in charge of the junior school football team and assisted with football and athletics in the senior school.  For four years he was an officer in the Combined Cadet Force (RAF section) and attended several camps and exercises.  His enthusiasm for sports and the CCF and his genuine interest in the lives of those he encountered meant Arthur was one of the most popular figures at CLS. His generous nature and impish sense of humour ensured friendships with colleagues and students alike lasted long after he retired from teaching in July 1981 and returned to Barnton to live in the house where he was born.

He was very busy during his retirement, helping out at Chester Cathedral as a guide, working as a volunteer at The Lowry Theatre in Manchester, volunteering as a driver for the Commonwealth Games in Manchester, volunteering for the Vale Royal Talking Newspaper, and being part of the living history group at Tatton Park, Knutsford, where he played the role of Lord Egerton.  He was a very keen theatre-goer and was a member of many clubs and societies such as Probus.  He loved to travel and visited many friends in Hong Kong and New Zealand as well as keeping in touch and visiting colleagues and friends in the U.K.   

Arthur never married but had a large and loving family. He would take regularly take family members to events in London and on theatre trips to Crewe and Manchester. He was always included in all family events and big family Christmases where he was well known for his rendition of 'Deck the Halls'.  Arthur was our 'elder statesmen' and we loved hearing his stories of what he had done and who he had met and he had such a wide range of knowledge which even in very old age he never lost.  He was a member of the Worshipful Company of Bakers and continued to attend events in London. When he was not able to travel that far he looked forward to the meetings closer to his home. Eventually, he had to stop driving and his eyesight was failing and as he had always been a very social and outgoing man he found this hard to bear.

Arthur died on 4rd February 2020 in the house built by his grandfather and where he was born, which is what he wanted.  He had planned his funeral himself and the service was full of lovely readings, hymns, and organ music.  He did not want a Eulogy although the Vicar, who knew him well, did say a few quick words!  The church was standing room only and we all said he would have loved the refreshments afterwards at Barnton Cricket Club where there were so many people sharing memories.