Malcolm John D'Aubney (Class of 1964)
His many friends have been much saddened by the death, from cancer, of Malcolm D’Aubney on 17 August 2020. He was a most stalwart member of the John Carpenter Club, serving on its general committee for eleven years from 1969 and enthusiastically attending all the meetings and dinners. Malcolm was also a regular participant of meetings of the 1917 Society, of which he was president in 1966/7.
Malcolm started in the Junior School in 1957 and left Modern Sixth in 1964. He was in Abbott, a prefect, and captain of athletics being awarded the chairman’s prize for services to athletics. He also played 3rd XV rugby, was an active member of the Christian Union, and was on the Library Committee. He was a first-class shot and served in the Royal Artillery section of the C.C.F. On leaving CLS, he gave a cup bearing his name to be awarded to the winner of the senior 100 yards sprint on Sports Day. He then went up to Churchill College, Cambridge to read French and Russian, always maintaining his ties with C.L.S by active participation in the association of Old Citizens at the University. He was their secretary and then president and regularly submitted the Cambridge letters to the O.C Gazette, recounting the doings of his fellows (and of some of the O.C dons too). Having graduated in 1967, he stayed at Cambridge to do hi P.G.E training certificate and then went to Sevenoaks School in 1968 to teach French and Russian. He remained their almost thirty years. He was an enthusiastic teacher and is remembered for leading a number of study trips overseas.
It was at Sevenoaks School that he tripped and broke his, but it was no simple break. Eventually, much of the bone in the elbow had to be removed because of infections, and Malcolm used to joke that it was only the skin that kept his forearm attached. He suffered a lot of pain and numerous surgical procedures before a new titanium join could be fashioned. But this handicap never dimmed his good humour or appetite travel. He had his regular hotels be it Dover, St Omer, or Nice, where he would always leave a change of clothes ready for his return, thus ensuring that there would always be a space in his bag for a bottle or two and some charcuterie.
He was indeed a great bon vivant, a frequent patron of local restaurants, and very good company at table. Those who knew him as being of well-nourished Friar Tuck proportions could hardly believe that as a junior at CLS he had been tall and gangly, arms flailing in all directions as he ran for his house in the Standards Competition.
Malcolm was a committed High Churchman. For a number of years he was a licensed lay-reader of Christ Church, Southgate, and then, with the introduction of some more liberal developments, he moved to the Anglo-Catholic Italy Trinity, Winchmore Hill. His preaching ability was outstanding, well prepared, interesting and with light touches of humour. Participants in his Bible-Study group miss him greatly as do those whom he led on retreats.
He lived alone in the family home adjacent to Southgate village green. It was no surprise that his answerphone greeted callers first in English, then in French, then in Russian: a nice touch for a very cosmopolitan gentleman.